Saturday, November 20, 2010

Unique SLANT

Today I participated in yet another service project. I did not go into it with the right attitude. You see, I have been super busy lately. So getting up early was not something I was eager to do. And I needed to start on my Christmas shopping. And I needed to get a oil change. And so on and so on. But I told my friend I would be there and so I went. Initially all I could think about was leaving early and how cranky I was. Then I was put to work.

The project engaged kids from St. Phillips School, Boys and Girls Clubs, and Girl Scouts. There were also Bank of America employees there to help out. The projects were pretty cool. One station had them painting holiday ornaments and making candy cane reindeer. Another had them making Thanksgiving cards. The third had them decorating Christmas gift bags. And the final one had them decorating bags in which we put and apple, an orange, and a granola bar. All of these gifts will be delivered with either the Thanksgiving food or the Christmas food for the Meals on Wheels folks throughout Dallas. A little love from the kids to those who can't get out and get food for themselves.
The closing had them creating a reflection of the work they did with magazines one a piece of cardstock.

Did I come around and snap out of my funk? Of course I did. And I didn't leave early. It was a cool project. I just needed to get out of my own way and remember that there is a reason I was there/here. It was only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment