Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Como se dice: God Loves You? Part 1

Not happening

Our destination


“in order to make you understand, to give you my life, I must tell you a story.” Virginia Woolf

Thursday, September 3
As I left the office for my week away, I was very excited about the upcoming trip to Guatemala. My co-workers expressed the same excitement for me and are eager to hear of my adventures upon my return. A few minutes after leaving, I received a text from our trip leader Susan. She requested for us to call in to a conference call and instructed us not to panic. I was uncharacteristically calm about the whole thing. I assumed there were some last minute details that she needed to pass on. The first thing she said as we joined the conference line was "well, we're not going to Guatemala".

Apparently the president of the country had stepped down due to some sort of corruption charges and it was not deemed safe for us to travel to the country we had planned for 6 months or more to visit for our mission trip. I started getting teary eyed. Well, actually, I started crying. After all, there were a lot of steps involved in getting to the point of being able to leave in less than 48 hours. Passports obtained, vaccines acquired, supplies purchased. I could practically feel the Guatemalan sun on my face. Alas, it was not to be. The good news, was announced immediately thereafter, there was a backup plan. We would travel instead to Mexico City to participate in some yet unknown projects with Buckner Mexico. When asked if everyone from the group was in, there was not a moment's hesitation. I know for me, having the time off of work and a passport, was all I really needed to keep me on the trip. That and knowing the Lord works in mysterious ways.

My immediate disappointment waned as I later would spend some time with my Home Group Ladies and we started our discussion on the Book of Jude. Everyone was buzzing with the last minute change and the news that the president of Guatemala had been arrested. We would switch out supplies the next day and hope that flights, hotels, and projects could be secured in time for us to leave.
The Great Supply Swap-Out

Friday, September 4
I spent the day cleaning at home and packing. That afternoon, I took my extra bag of supplies to the Buckner office to switch out for the more appropriate supplies for the new trip. There were a lot of things going on in the office and I was pleased to see that everyone seemed fairly unruffled. Several other Home Group people were also swapping out supplies. It appeared that while people were divided into several different flights, that we were indeed going to Mexico City. I took in a yoga class (deep stretch as needed) and then joined my dear friends for dinner in the evening,
Last Texas meal for a while- Hippy Bowl prepared by Dhriti.

Saturday, September 5
Two members of the church Home Group (Tom and Lyndsay) picked me and David (another Mexico Mission Team Member) up to transport us to the airport. It was such a great service that the members of the group provided to the Mexico Mission Team. Just not having to worry about driving, parking or anything at all was a gift. Given the flight variation, we had enough time to visit two of our other fellow members at their home before heading to the airport. These members just had a new baby and we were eager to meet her and spend time with the parents. I will admit that I was reluctant to share in holding her as she was just the cutest tiny thing. But I did. Loved seeing this little family just before taking off to parts previously unknown.
Meeting Vesper
My traveling guru's name was David. He showed me how to use my new passport and how to maneuver through the processes. I was grateful for his presence and guidance. We were joined at the airport by our trip co-leader Allison. This was her first trip as a staff member and she would be shadowing Susan throughout. We were fortunate to have been placed in Business class seats and afforded a meal. I texted my sister, posted one last picture to Instagram and settled in for the journey.

I had decided that to truly benefit from this trip, I would participate in a sort of digital fast as well. No email, no Facebook, no Instagram, and no Twitter. No looking up random things. No phone calls. I wanted to be intentional about paying attention to the people I was on the trip with and the work we were to do. The few things I would allow myself: taking photos, a text each morning and evening to my sister to send to friends and family so they would know how I was doing, and music in the van (not pre-planned, but happened later).
My last Instagram post before radio silence for the week.
Upon landing, we gathered our luggage. Well, everyone except Allison. Apparently her bag never made it onto the plane. Quite a mess. She handled the situation quite admirably. The airline assured her it would be on a flight the next morning and delivered to our hotel.

As soon as we left customs, we saw the larger part of our contingent. Susan, Gabe, Brandon, Chris and Melinda.
Leaving the Airport
Our country host Juan Carlos also met us in the airport. We piled into the van that he drove and were taken to the hotel which was not very far from the airport. I was impressed by the hotel. I am certain given the less-than-48-hours I had to think about it, I didn't have any real expectations, but it was nicer than places to which I have grown accustomed.
My home away from home
A unique feature to the hotel room was having to put the room key in a slot next to the door to work the lights and air conditioning in the room. It was not something I had ever seen. My roommate Crystal had not yet arrived, so I settled in for the night and went to sleep.

The next morning I learned that Crystal and Kelly had taken a cab to the hotel as they missed Susan and Juan Carlos who had gone there to shuttle them. Fortunately they had the necessary talents to get to the hotel on their own.

Sunday, September 6
The next morning we had breakfast in the hotel. As I had deprived myself of the distraction of technology, I truly enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Each bite a gift and each conversation held without distraction a distinct pleasure. Crystal served the rest of the team by helping everyone order omelets and tacos from the made to order section. We would rely upon her ordering and translation skills many times on the trip.

As it was Sunday, we then traveled to Igelsisa Bautista Sinai de Coyoacan for church services. Those who are reading this and know me well will find it interesting to know that I wore a skirt to church. I had previously been informed that this was the accepted attire for church (my mother actually purchased it for me to go to church in Guatemala). I also had to practice wearing it once at home in Dallas before the trip to make sure I was able to maneuver properly in it. While this may not seem like a big deal to most, to me it truly was. Let me tell you, it was not as bad as I thought it would be.
Sunday 

Church in Mexico






Me+Skirt= Not so bad








There were several things about the church that were familiar.
Wooden pews, hymnals, flowers at the front, people in their Sunday best. We were made to feel welcome by all of the people. Juan Carlos made sure we had a translator; a 13 yr old boy was conscripted early in the service to make sure we knew what the pastor was saying. The sermon was about giving, and while I know I didn't catch everything, I know that what I did get was interesting.
  • Thankful to be able to give.
  • If you don't know what you have, you don't know what you can give.
  • Give abundantly; as you are given to grow, not to be rich.
  • Rich in generosity. Give so others lives are abundant.
  • In my country, I want people to live happy, even if they don't have permission.
  • We need kindness and generosity. We need sincerity.
  • Sometimes we are surprised when we think we have to do it on your own. We are surprised by help.
  • Answer- how much is in your cup? How much do you pray? How much do you read the Word?
Jude verses 11-16 as a reading. Which hearkened back to the study we were doing back in Texas with our Home Group Ladies.

We all sang together from the hymnals in Spanish. I had such difficulty in trying to properly pronounce things, but surely there was honor in the joyful noise we attempted to make.

After the service there were both Spanish speaking sounds of greeting and the uncomfortable kiss on the cheek and hug we would eventually get used to and even welcome. A couple of people who spoke English made a point of introducing themselves and some other longer term missionaries greeted us, some had even heard of our church back in Dallas.

Our group then traveled to the group home to meet Juan Carlos' family (foster and biological).  I cannot move further in this post without stating that our host and the Buckner Director for Mexico is an incredible person. He lives each day, from the moment he wakes until he lays his certainly exhausted head on the pillow, in service to others. Not only does he guide the efforts throughout the country to help serve those in need, but he also manages a home for 8 foster children with his own wife and child. I felt honored to just witness the love they shared in that home. I know the rest of the team echoed this sentiment. Our lunch was wonderful and shared around a rather large table in the beautiful home.

After lunch we sat around with the family and had a sharing activity. Each member of the home and our team sat in a circle. We took turns sharing verses from the Bible with one another. Each person would pick someone and share. I was impressed that the kids all had them written out on cards. The littlest on picked me and her card was what I was going to say next. "Todo tiene su tiempo y todo lo que se quiere debajo del cielo tiene su hora." Ecclesiastes 3:1 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every matter under heaven".

We then learned a bit about the intervention model used in Mexico to serve the community.

Buckner Mexico seeks to empower the families to use their talents, gifts, and resources together to meet felt needs within their own community. An example of this was the youngest member of the house at 6 years old was the only one who could remember the names of all of the guests. She contributed to the event by having a capability that no one else did. We would learn first hand the model in coming days.

Sunday evening we went to dinner at Fonda Argentina. This is where we learned that our dinners could all easily include meat platters.
Meat, meat and more meat
After dinner we returned to the hotel to begin stuffing bags with hygiene supplies. These would be distributed to the participants of the health class that would be led by Crystal (physician) and Melinda (physical therapist) who were in our group. Bags that formerly held shoes, now held washcloths and fingernail clippers. We had a lot of fun throwing the sports balls we brought and practicing juggling skills along the way. Our evening ended with a game of NERTZ. A solitaire-like card game that apparently has several of our trip members enthralled.
Hygiene bags and random fun



Nertz Part 1





5 comments:

  1. Great blog. Enjoyed reading it. Can't wait for "The rest of of the story" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah , forgot to tell you....your skirt is lovely.....you looked great:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always take us on the journey! And you did look beautiful in the skirt!

    ReplyDelete